73rd Ordnance Battalion cases colors
Col. Brian LeJeune and Command Sgt. Maj. Gregory Binford relinquished command and role as Senior Enlisted Advisor of the 73rd Ordnance Battalion in a ceremony conducted before a crowd of Soldiers, family members and Fort Gordon leaders. During the ceremony the battalion’s colors were cased as the unit is relocating to Eglin Air Force Base, Fla.
In remarks following the ceremony
Col. Stephen Elle, commander, 15th Regimental Signal Brigade addressed the crowd by sharing the battalion’s unique training mission.
“For those of you who are not familiar with the mission of the 73rd Ordnance Battalion they have the tremendous responsibility of training and developing Army ordnance maintainers who execute the critical task of repairing avionics aircraft control systems, radios, communication security devices, and other special electronic devices,” said Elle. “The 73rd has been executing this tremendous responsibility here at Fort Gordon since October of 1994. I was stationed here back then and remember when the signal and aviation maintenance missions were transferred to the ordnance corps. For nearly twenty years they (the 73rd Ordnance Battalion) have executed that mission of excellence. Throughout that time the 73rd has managed anywhere from a thousand to a thousand and five hundred Soldiers annually. They were the first training unit here on Fort Gordon to establish the field training exercise which included live-fire operations and technical training.”
In closing Elle asked the crowd to share in a round of applause for the Soldiers and leadership of the battalion as they move forward to their new location at Eglin Air Force Base.
Following the casing ceremony Maj. Dwayne Murray assumed command of the Ordnance Training Detachment that will remain at Fort Gordon as part of the 15th Regimental Signal Brigade. The detachment will take on the mission of overseeing initial entry training of the 94 series military occupational specialty.
The 73rd Ordnance Battalion was originally constituted Oct. 18, 1927 in the regular Army as the 13th Motor Transport Command. It was redesignated May 1, 1936 as Headquarters and Headquarters Company, 1st Battalion, 37th Quartermaster Regiment, and June 1, 1940 as Headquarters and Headquarters Detachment, 73rd Quartermaster Battalion.
It was activated at Fort Lewis, Wash., June 9, 1941. Following years of redesignation and reorganization the headquarters element was transferred to the United
States Army Training and Doctrine Command Oct. 31, 1986 and organized at Redstone Arsenal, Ala. It was inactivated June 6, 1990 at Redstone Arsenal. Once again the unit was reactivated Oct. 1, 1994 at Fort Gordon.