2013 Holiday/Winter Safety Campaign wraps up on positive note
For the first time since 2010, there were no Airmen lost between Dec. 21, 2013, and Jan. 1 when Airmen are most at risk due to holiday celebrations, increased travel and fatigue.
“Every Airman owns a piece of this milestone,” said Maj. Gen. Kurt F. Neubauer, Air Force chief of safety. “It means Airmen did everything right: designated drivers, no distracted driving, and travel planning were among the riskmanagement techniques used. Commanders, supervisors, friends, family and wingmen are also winners.”
“The efforts of all Airmen in keeping safety a priority contributed to this achievement,” said Bill Parsons, Air Force chief of ground safety.
The Holiday/ Winter Safety Campaign, which ran Nov. 22, 2013, through Jan. 2, ended with four Class A fatalities, as did the FY13 campaign. Of those, one involved a private motor vehicle, one involved a motorcycle, and two were sports and recreation related. Overall, there was a decrease in reported mishaps resulting in injuries. During the campaign period, there were 122 Class C mishaps (42 on duty and 80 off duty), representing a decrease of more than 31 percent from the same time last year.
“Keeping safety as the goal for every activity, on and off duty, is the way to put mission first,” Parsons said. “When Airmen protect the Air Force’s most valuable asset - themselves - they are preserving combat capability.”